Friday, February 19, 2010

Tiger Woods: Blah, blah, blah

Today Tiger Woods made a statement to the press and apologized publicly to certain people about his extramarital affairs. At least that's what I assume the announcement that he was going to speak today and all these stories about him are about, because really, why do I care?

What do any of us care? Tiger made some really stupid mistakes. All superstars do. All people do. Does it make me like him less as a person? I guess. Does it affect how I feel about him as a golfer? Not really. Am I excusing his behavior? No. Is it any of my business? Not in the least.

The only people Tiger owes any explanation or apology to are his wife and kids, and maybe the people in charge of pro golf and the companies he had endorsements with. And those are the only people who should care about getting an explanation and/or an apology.

We're turning into a privacy-free society. Between social networking sites on the internet and the reality tv crazy and the paparazzi obsession, everyone's so eager to open their lives up to everyone else that we think it's a given that we get to be a part of/watch every little facet of everyone's life.

I couldn't care less how Tiger Woods gets his jollies, just as I'm sure he couldn't care less how I get mine, and that's how it should be. People who are that invested in other people's lives need to get lives of their own.

Here endeth the rant.

No comments:

Post a Comment