Wednesday, October 24, 2012

The Brooklyn Islanders?

Charles Wang, owner of the New York Islanders, announced today that when the hockey team's contract is up with Nassau County in 2015, the team has committed to a 25-year deal with Brooklyn and the Barclays Center.

I live in Nassau County, within walking distance of the Coliseum, which Wang has been trying to get the county to refurbish/renovate/something for the past I don't even know how many years. A lot of people I know, Islander fans, are upset about the move but grateful that the team will still be close by.

I'm not a hockey fan. But my mom was. And according to my dad, she was a major Islanders fan, so I wonder how she would have reacted to the news. I don't feel bad for the county for the loss of revenue - they didn't want the team to stay. Charles Wang is a Nassau County guy (albeit a super rich Nassau County guy). But he gives back to this area - he supports schools, businesses, and churches in this county. I'm sure he did everything he could to keep the team here - if the county had been willing to work with him, he would've done what he could to make sure the Islanders were a Long Island fixture.

Oh well. With the NHL season currently in jeopardy, there isn't much other hockey news to talk about. And like I said, I'm not a fan anyway, but what with it being super local news and having to do with my mom's favorite hockey team, I figured I'd mention it!

No comments:

Post a Comment