Saturday, January 26, 2013

From CNN.com: Let Manti Te'o be the end of sports hero worship

Thought this was an interesting story by Howard Kurtz over on CNN.com, mostly because he admits sportswriters' culpability and participation in the sports hero worship mentality. I haven't commented on the whole Manti Te'o debacle in this blog just because I can't even wrap my head around what the hell he was thinking, whether he was in on it or not, but I talked about Lance Armstrong in my last blog post. Kurtz doesn't really address what's wrong with the idea of worshipping sports heroes in the first place, but as a former reporter, I appreciate that he takes the sportswriting world to task for not questioning red flags, for not asking the tough questions when they need to be asked, and for forgiving too easily. Read the whole article here.

No comments:

Post a Comment