1. Heroes, wings, chips, and beer are standard fare at a Super Bowl party thrown by men. Women may have those things too but will try to class it up with wine and maybe a cheese fondue. Strike that - definitely a cheese fondue.
2. The theme of a male-organized Super Bowl party will be "football." A woman will change the theme of her party depending on who is in the game - three years ago, my best friend threw a Mardi Gras-themed Super Bowl party in honor of the Saints. Two years ago, because of the Packers, the theme will be "cheese." See reference to fondue in first point. This year, in honor of the New Orleans locale, her theme will once again be Mardi Gras.
3. Many of the invitees to a boy's Super Bowl party will be there to watch the game. Many of the invitees to a girl's Super Bowl party will be there to watch the commercials.
4. A Super Bowl party thrown by a guy will be punctuated by discussion on the merits and missteps of the various plays being made by both teams. A Super Bowl party thrown by a girl will be punctuated by a breakdown and explanation of the various plays being made by both teams.
5. A boy's Super Bowl party will feature commentary on which player has the best skills in the game. A girl's Super Bowl party will feature commentary on which player has the best backside in the game.
Whether you go to a boy's or a girl's Super Bowl party this year, have a great time! Who are you rooting for - Baltimore Ravens or San Francisco 49ers?
The Super Bowl will be on CBS tomorrow, Feb. 3, at 6:30 p.m.