Friday, April 13, 2012

New York Yankees home opener and some Rangers ramblings as well

Last night the New York Rangers beat the Ottawa Senators in Game 1 of the NHL playoffs. I was waiting for my bestie to arrive in Penn Station so we could go see The Fray in concert at Radio City (squee! They were so good!), and while I was waiting, I decided to have a beer and watch the Yankees. Well, the Yankees weren't playing, but hockey was on, and a New York team at that (and actually, they were playing right above my head in Madison Square Garden - I rode the train into the city with everyone in their Rangers gear), so I decided to sit and watch. After all, the boyfriend and I had just decided that hockey was the perfect the sport, so I might as well try it, right?

I mean, it's definitely exciting. There's a lot of action. But the puck is so tiny and moves so fast, I can't really follow it. I don't know where it is until it's already somewhere else. And I get that the goal is to get the puck in the net, but other than that, I don't understand the rules, the tiny nuances of the game. I think maybe after you get a goal you have to start a fight with the other team, but that's just conjecture based on what I saw. It seems to be like lacrosse on ice...but to be honest, I don't really understand the nuances of lacrosse either. Oh well. It doesn't hurt that Henrik Lundqvist is super cute. I should watch just for that.

Don't tell my boyfriend.

The point is, the Rangers won, so well done, and congrats Rangers fans - hope your team can keep it up. Now for sports I DO watch, today is the Yanks home opener at Yankee Stadium. Where they're playing the Angels, notorious Yankee-killers, though not so much recently. Oh wait, now they have Albert Pujols on their team. That's right, Pujols, arguably the best player in the game right now, is in the American league, on a team we play a lot, and on a team that historically always killed us. This does not bode well. For those of you lucky to be off today, the game is on this afternoon. I will be stealthly checking in on it on MLB.com from my cubicle whilst pretending to be working hard and looking forward to seeing the Yanks in action in person next week. Going to the April 18th game versus the Twins and JM. And trying not to buy tickets for another Yanks v. Twins game now that I have my paycheck burning a hole in my pocket.

I'm a fan girl. What can I do?

No matter who you're a fan of, enjoy your weekend, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment