Wednesday, May 2, 2012

In honor of the 40th anniversary of Title IX...

It's actually not until next month, but I read a really great article on SI.com by Ann Killion about Title IX: "Title IX helped level playing field, gave women chance to succeed." I'll admit, it even got me a little teary-eyed when she talked about her son not batting an eyelash to cheer on the girls' soccer team at his high school. As someone born after Title IX, it isn't something I ever even think about - it never even crossed my mind that I wouldn't be able to play sports in high school for any reason except being too klutzy. But I remember my mom telling me stories about how she would liked to have played sports in high school, but there weren't any teams. And while professional sports for women lag way behind sports for men in variety and popularity and probably never will catch up, the fact that there were no teams for normal, every day girls is just beyond mind-boggling. Anyway, if you're interested in reading more, you can find the story here.

No comments:

Post a Comment