Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Rant of the day: The NBA lockout

The latest news from the professional sports world is that the first two weeks of the NBA season have been cancelled due to players and owners being unable to reach an agreement on, what else, money. Luckily for me, I stopped watching basketball years ago after the New York Knicks broke my heart over and over again in the late 1990s. I'm still recovering from that relationship.

The worst part is that whichever side ends up caving or compromising, neither of them really lose. Both the players and owners still end up with money I'll never see in my lifetime. It's everyone else who loses out, everyone else who makes it possible for those players and owners to be as rich as they are in the first place, such as the ushers, security personnel, parking lot attendants, concession workers, and restaurant employees who work in the venues in which these games are played who might end up getting their hours cut or losing their jobs and of course, THE FANS.

To which I say, THANK YOU Knicks of the 1990s for pissing me off so much that I made a clean break from the sport all together - see, there is a silver lining in everything! - and owners and players, get your houses in order. In this economy, with unemployment as high as it is, it is DISGRACEFUL that you can't reach an agreement on the limit to how many millions of dollars y'all can make.

Here endeth the rant.

No comments:

Post a Comment