Tuesday, March 20, 2012

It's tough to know just when to go: nice Newsday article on Andy Pettitte's return

As y'all are aware, Andy Pettitte is officially un-retiring today from the New York Yankees. I wrote about this just the other day, but I had to write again because there was a really thoughtful, well-written article in Newsday today by Mark Herrmann where a few ex-Yanks like Joe Girardi, Reggie Jackson, and Goose Gossage talk about the decision to keep playing or not, and how they dealt with it - sometimes you know when you're done, and sometimes you think you're done but you realize you're not. I can respect that. Athletes get so few good years - retiring at 38 or 40? I wish! - that I can see wanting to make sure you got good use out of all of them, and if Andy feels like he still has something to give, then I respect that he has to try. I was just so happy that one of my all-time favorite players got the opportunity to leave on his own terms and on a high note that him returning makes me nervous that he'll have a bad year and that's all anyone will remember. But maybe I'm the one who needs to take a deep breath, have a little faith, and enjoy the ride.

If you're a Newsday or Cablevision subscriber, you can read the article here.

No comments:

Post a Comment