Monday, September 29, 2008

Baseball postseason - still worth watching?

Well, there are no New York teams to root for. I kinda don't know what to do about that. This has never happened to me before. But I have some options, ones I usually keep in my back pocket just in case that can now come to the forefront.

Boston - I will never root for. That's my diehard Yankeeism coming through. Sorry. Plus, even though they're in by wildcard, they're still favorites and recent World Series winners and in a scenario without my team to root for, I'd rather root for the underdog.

Tampa Bay - are they really an underdog if they've been on top of the division all season long? I'd say, yes. They're just the most recent in a string of feel-good sports team stories. So I could definitely dig that.

Angels - Well, one of my favorite sports movies is Angels in the Outfield. And I used that to root for them when they won the World Series in 2002.

American League Central - we're still waiting to find out if it'll be the White Sox or the Twins. I'm gunning for the Twins. Anybody who reads this blog knows that I am a huge Joe Mauer fan and I like the Twins as a team. If they make it to the postseason, I may have to root for them to win the whole thing.

Phillies - In deference to my Mets fan friends and being a New Yorker, I cannot in good faith root for the Phillies.

Brewers - since they won the Wild Card over the Mets, that leaves them out, too.

Dodgers - Manny Ramirez, con. Joe Torre, pro. I like Joe. And my brother lives in LA, both things that could help me identify with this team.

Cubs - After the Red Sox, White Sox, and Angels, the Cubs are now next in line to be overdue a World Series victory. I can get behind that. If that doesn't scream underdog, I don't know what does.

No comments:

Post a Comment