Thursday, September 4, 2008

Sports mish-mash

Quick note: In the Williams' sisters match-up at the U.S. Open, it was Serena who emerged victorious.

Last night's Yankee game made use of MLB's new instant replay to determine whether or not A-Rod had hit a home run (he did). I'm all for the umps being able to review plays to figure out the right call to make - I feel like in this season especially, there have been too many instances of bad calls being made. Sometimes it goes too quick or you don't have the right angle to make the call, but for everyone viewing at home, the replay shows it clear enough. While homeruns have been an issue this season as well, I don't know if that's the reason I would have instated the instant replay. I would love for it to be used on an any questionable call. You don't win or lose games on one bad call, and for every bad call that goes against you, you usually get one at another time that goes in your favor, but it can definitely shift the momentum of a game and thus contribute to wins or losses. Anyway, I don't really know how it fits into the flow of a baseball game, unlike in football, where timeouts get called and plays stop all the time. But I guess we'll find out.

And for all of you who have given up hope on your baseball team extending it's play into October or who have just become bored, you can now jump ship to another sport - football is starting again (doesn't it seem like just yesterday that the Giants won the Super Bowl? No, that's just me? I'm the only one who can't let go? You can blame this sucky Yankee season for that...) The NFL season kicks off tonight with the Giants versus the Redskins. I guess this means summer really is over...

No comments:

Post a Comment