Monday, September 22, 2008

Time to say goodbye: 21 September 2008

I didn't think I'd get emotional at the final game played at Yankee Stadium, seeing as how terrible the season has been and how anticlimactic the season has become, but I did.

I'm sorry, I can't help it...I'm a girl!

I'm a sucker for sentimentality. And I'm a slave to my hormones. I probably would have cried had circus clowns come out onto the field and thrown pies in players' faces, but as it was, everything felt like it had come full circle, and I wasn't even around for the beginning - the fact that the Yankees won, Johnny Damon and Jose Molina hitting homers, one of my all-time favorite Yankees and one of the remaining members of that Yankee dream team of 1995-2000, Andy Pettitte, getting the win, the great Mariano Rivera recording the last out, and Derek Jeter, who rightfully will be remembered by future generations along with Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle, Jackson, etc. etc. as one of the Yankee greats, as the very last Yankee to come to bat in this stadium.

I think what put me over the edge, however, was his speech following the game, surrounded by his teammates, thanking the fans, and then all the fans being saluted by those players. They have played mediocre at best this year. They have let me down time and time again this year. But I was misty-eyed last night and I'm misty-eyed right now as I write this and I'm not ashamed to say it. I hate endings. But every ending leads to a new beginning, which is something Yankeedom needs right now. So, to new beginnings and fond memories!

Oh my God, I'm such a girl...

No comments:

Post a Comment