Tuesday, September 2, 2008

U.S. Open, putting the focus on female athletes

So, I haven't been talking about the U.S. Open, which is going on right now (and in Flushing Meadows, not too far from my home, either) because I don't watch tennis. Personally, I find it rather boring, and that's possibly because I don't understand the game. I don't know the rules and so I don't know what I'm watching. Unfortunately, I don't have the desire the learn.

But interested in a sport where female athletes shine? Tennis is one of those games. From an original female great, Billie Jean King, to Martina Navratilova, Monica Seles, Steffi Graf, many others, and the current sister powerhouse combo of Venus and Serena Williams, this is a sport that happens every year (unlike the Olympics) where women are more than on top of their game. Apparently, at this current competition, the Williams sisters are on a collision course, set to meet Wednesday night in a quarterfinal matchup. As these are two of the best female athletes currently competing in sports, this should be quite a match. Exciting enough for me to watch? Probably not. It's not my cup of tea. But it might be yours.

The U.S. Open ends September 7, and can be watched on TV on CBS and USA.

No comments:

Post a Comment