Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Tomorrow is another day

Well, the bumpy road that was this season for the Yankees is finally over. The Red Sox finally put them out of their misery, clinching a playoff berth last night with a win. Since the Sox would've had to lose every game for the rest of the season in order for the Yankees to make it to October, last night just made official what we've all known for weeks, if not months.

I'm strangely okay with it. I think it's because I actually wasn't all that invested in the Yankees this season. Does that make me a fairweather fan? Maybe it was a survival technique? Maybe the past few years of early October exits had prepared me well for this, my first Yankee season with no postseason.

Anyway, it reminds me of the year the Yankees lost in the playoffs to the Red Sox. What year was that, 2004? What made that particularly awful was that it was the first time ever a team had come back from a 0-3 deficit to win four games in a row to make it to the next round. Oh, and that it was the Red Sox who won, and the Yankees who lost. I was so devastated that night that I called out of work sick the next day so I could wallow in misery in my pajamas without dealing with anybody. Maybe I was a crazy person. Maybe I was a true fan. Maybe I was just being a drama queen.

No dramatics this year. It was what it was. Football is here to give me something to cheer for and for us Yankee fans, like Scarlett O'Hara always said, "Tomorrow is another day." I'll be there next spring, ready for a new beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment