Monday, January 23, 2012

Oh my heart: Giants-Patriots Super Bowl redux

Oh my heart. That's what this fan girl kept saying during what was an extremely tense but eventually awesomely exciting game in which the New York Giants beat the 49ers to make it to this year's Super Bowl. A game like that is the kind of game you want to watch, the kind of game that has you on the edge of your seat, that has twists and turns and lead changes and turnovers and teams capitalizing on mistakes and amazing catches and passes and runs. The only thing is, it's an objectively great game, but as a fan, it's only a great game if your team wins. And there's no way to know ahead of time, hence my heart worries throughout the game. The boyfriend and I were watching at a bar, a sea of Giants jerseys, with friends. The place was so loud you would've thought we were actually in the football stadium. It was so much so that I finally had to just close my eyes, take a deep breath, trust in my team, in Eli Manning and friends, and leave it up to the football gods. When Lawrence Tynes got that field goal in overtime, pandemonium ensued. You have to watch a game like that with friends or at a bar. Even if you're not into football, if you're in that social setting, you'll get into football, I promise you. Even if it's just for those three hours.

So now it's on to Indianapolis in two weeks for a rematch with the New England Robots, er, Patriots. In 2007, the Little Team That Could i.e. the Giants won the Super Bowl against the until then undefeated Patriots. To call it an upset would be an understatement. To call it quite possibly the most exciting game of football (or any sport) I have ever watched in my entire life would also be an understatement. If you don't know why, if you've never seen Eli escape a sack attempt followed by David Tyree's catch, you have to watch this:



These are the same teams from four years ago but they're not the same teams. This time around, the Giants know they can beat the Patriots. The Patriots know the Giants can beat the Patriots. But the Patriots are looking better than any other team the Giants have faced in the past few weeks, so all I can say is, I think it's going to be a good game. I trust in my team. Let's show New England how we get it done in New York!


No comments:

Post a Comment