Monday, January 16, 2012

Who wants it more: New York Giants victory over Aaron Rodgers

I'm sure it's all been said at this point about the 9-7 New York Giants beating the snot out of the number one seed Green Bay Packers. I did realizing watching this game that I hadn't really seen the Packers play all that much this season and that in this game, Aaron Rodgers, though he was obviously off his game, still looked amazing while the rest of his team just looked...well, ordinary. I guess sometimes one player can elevate a whole team. Makes the Colts collapse sans Peyton Manning make a bit more sense. But there's something wrong when a quarterback, in a pass play, has no choice but to run the ball himself. Whereas Eli Manning had his choice of receivers, guys he trusted to get that ball even in a crowd of Packers players. I won't call the final first half play a Hail Mary pass because I think it takes credit away from Eli and Hakeem Nicks, that the play was a desperate attempt on a wing and a prayer - I think it was a risky, gutsy play that could have ended badly except that Eli trusted his man down field to catch the ball. And he did. Big risks bring big rewards. The Giants are finally, FINALLY, playing like a team that deserves to be in the playoffs, that deserves to beat top tier teams, that deserves to make it to the championship. You can't win a playoff game looking the way the Packers looked Sunday. You have to keep your head in the game and keep bringing it even when you make mistakes (like Eli's interception), even when calls don't go your way when maybe they should have (don't even get me started), and you have to capitolize on a team that's having an off day. Next up, the 49ers. I don't know anything about this team except what I saw this weekend. I don't know what they're known for, what they're good at, or any of their players. But if the Giants can keep their game face on, we're looking at a rematch of either their 2000 Super Bowl loss against the Ravens or of their 2007 Super Bowl victory over the Patriots. But I don't want to jinx it. You have to take it one week at a time. Four weeks ago I wasn't sure we'd be at this place, but I'm gladly going along for the ride... ...go Big Blue!!

No comments:

Post a Comment