Monday, January 16, 2012

Watching football like a girl

For someone who is a girl, I was starting to think I was learning to watch the game like a dude - knowing players, knowing stats, knowing jersey numbers and what plays are called. I was super excited during the Ravens-Texans game because for the first time ever, when the defense showed blitz, I actually saw it! Everyone was lined up right on the line and I saw it, I KNEW, the blitz was coming. Yes - I was going to be unofficially declared a bro! And then my actual bro brought me back down to reality with one innocent statement by this fan girl: "I don't like the way the numbers are printed on the Ravens' jerseys." I don't. It's too stylized. It looks like something out of a comic book. But my brother just smiled and shook his head. "You're such a girl," he said. "You totally watch football like a girl." I made it worse at half time when I said I like to judge the commentators' ties. Another smile and shook head. But you know what? That's okay. Because I am a girl. I like that I can see the defense show blitz and that I know stats and players but I also like that I don't like Tom Brady and I don't necessarily have a concrete reason why besides the fact that he's a smarmy robot. I like that I don't like the Titans' team colors and that I didn't like Michael Strahan's tie during the half time show. I'm a girl. That's who I am. But this girl is also a sports fan, and that's just who I am, too. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment