Saturday, January 7, 2012

A sports fan's dilemma: your team versus your life

The boyfriend's family wants to go to dinner Sunday evening. They were very nice to invite me and of course I accepted. But my first thought upon receiving the invitation was, "They obviously aren't football fans."

Dinner is at 4 p.m. in Manhattan. The New York Giants play at 1 p.m. What that means is I can watch the first part of the game. I can listen to the middle of it on the radio in the car. But unless the restaurant has televisions playing the game, I'm going to miss the end. Which is going to suck. Even though I said I'd go, I'm feeling very conflicted about it. I have a sports fan's heart. If the Giants win, I'll have another chance to watch them play next week, but if they lose, their season is over, and a sports fan wants to be with her team until the very end, even if it's a bitter, premature one.

The thing is, it's not even a real dilemma. The question is, what's more important? Fandom or family? If I was a guy, I might answer the question differently, but I'm a girl, so of course I'm going to go to dinner with the family. ...with a fully charged phone so I can check on the score. I may be a girl, but I still have a sports fan's heart ;)

Go Big Blue!

No comments:

Post a Comment