Monday, April 7, 2008

Basketball hall of fame class of 2008...ah, the good ole days!

Wow, I actually know some of these people! Not personally, of course. But a few members of this class actually mean something to me. Pat Riley, Patrick Ewing, Hakeem Olajuwon...they definitely represent the NBA for me. I don't watch pro basketball anymore but I used to love it, back before I even loved baseball (and I almost don't remember a time when I didn't love baseball...apparently, my memory only goes back 10 years...), and back when I was a fan, Riley, Ewing, and Olajuwon were some of the big names, converging of course when Olajuwon's Houston Rockets won the NBA title over Ewing's New York Knicks (coached by Riley) in the 1994 finals. Boy, did that suck...but boy, was it a fun ride...

Was never really a Riley fan (I much preferred Van Gundy as coach), and was never even really a Ewing fan (though I think a lot of that was my mother's prejudice against him as a player coming through), and I enjoyed Olajuwon a lot more in 1995 when he wasn't playing against the Knicks, but the late 1990s, and these men, are who I look to to remember this game fondly when I think of how much I don't enjoy the game today.

No comments:

Post a Comment