Monday, April 7, 2008

Yes, girls watch sports...but don't they play sports, too?

As a matter of fact, they do! Now that we're almost an entire decade into the 21st century, besides playing high school and college and club sports, women do in fact play sports professionally as well. Tennis, for instance. Female athletes can find a lot of great role models in professional tennis. I don't watch tennis, mens or womens, because I find it incredibly boring. There is also professional women's golf...quite possibly the only pro sport more boring than tennis...what about soccer? Yes, women used to play soccer professionally, women with names like Mia Hamm and Brandi Chastain and Kristine Lilly and Michelle Akers, names that probably millions of foreigners could name after the United States team won the 1999 Women's World Cup championship but probably very few Americans, since Americans don't watch women's soccer (which is why the women's pro league here no longer exists)...and while there is still, of course, a men's pro league, let it be known that despite David Beckham crossing the pond stateside, Americans don't watch men's soccer either (though apparently in slightly bigger numbers than they don't watch women's soccer)...

Which leaves us with the WNBA, which I think is still around, but I don't know of anybody personally who follows them.

I think the point trying to be made, though, is there is much I have to say on men's sports and so far, very little on women...for instance, did you know there is also a women's college basketball championship being played right now? Until a few days ago, I actually did not... embarrassing, right? I'm not ignoring women who play sports - I'm ignoring sports that don't interest me. Unfortunately, this includes tennis (men and women) and golf (men and women). And as I've stated before, a lot of the sports I watch, while eventually end up being for enjoyment of the game, draw me in with the eye candy. I'm shallow that way.

But I do like soccer (men and women) and there's a summer Olympics coming up with lots of fun, talented females that I expect to want to talk about to no end. While we still get the short end of the stick professionally (and that's not just in sports), despite what I may talk about in this blog, female athletes (just like female fans) are alive and well.

No comments:

Post a Comment