Wednesday, April 9, 2008

A quick NHL note

I, myself, know nothing about hockey. I am not a hockey fan. I've been to one hockey game, the NYPD vs. FDNY game at Nassau Coliseum, but I was with my boyfriend, who we have all learned preferred tailgating at a sporting event to actually watching the sporting event, so we missed the first half of the game. And I watched the second half through a beer haze. I know the Rangers won the Stanley Cup the year the Knicks lost in the NBA Finals. I know the Islanders play at the Coliseum. That's the extent of my hockey knowledge.

But there's a New York hockey team in the playoffs and apparently, my mother was a hockey fan. I never knew that. And I know my dad told me what team she rooted for, but I don't think about hockey so much that I've forgotten whether she was for the Rangers or the Islanders. Anyway, this post is for her.

NY Rangers vs. NJ Devils tonight, first game in the first round of the playoffs. Ranger fans are probably stoked. I hear on WFAN that Islander fans, who are vehemently anti-Rangers, are rooting for the Devils. So if they have sports bars in heaven (and Lord, I hope they do!), my mom is gonna be rooting for one of those teams. I'm a New York gal first and foremost, so though I won't be watching the game, I'm for the Rangers all the way at this point...

No comments:

Post a Comment