Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Yankees Opening Day, take two

It's still raining. It's supposed to stop by 4, and the game doesn't start till after 7 tonight, which if it works out, actually means I'll be able to watch it live on tv instead of the play-by-play on my computer.

Some notes for this season: it's the last year in the old Yankees Stadium, so this year, starting with tonight's game, is going to happen with a lot of fanfare, pomp and circumstance.

Hank Steinbrenner, son of George, is now officially in charge. Not sure that will mean any changes.

Joe Girardi is the new Yankee manager. This is huge for me, as I don't know the Yankees without Joe Torre at the helm. I liked Torre and was sorry to see him go, but I think even though change is hard, change can be good, and a shake-up was needed. I really liked Girardi when he was a catcher for the Yankees, and I'm looking forward to seeing what he does as the team manager.

The past couple of seasons, the Yankees have refused to let go of young, talented up-and-comers like Robinson Cano, Melky Cabrera, Phil Hughes, Ian Kennedy, and Joba Chamberlain. There was a time, 12 years ago when the Yankees again became a force to be reckoned with when they were a team of young, talented up-and-comers named, among others, Jorge Posada, Mariano Rivera, and Derek Jeter. In the past couple years, those in charge have traded away prospects and gone for the quick fix of expensive, proven but faded superstars to fill their areas of need (I'm not a super Alex Rodriguez fan, but starting last year, he's grown on me; Randy Johnson was just a huge mistake from Day One) instead of putting in the effort to cultivate homegrown talent and take a few years to rebuild...Steinbrenners want results now. But maybe this new crop of future superstars is a sign of good years ahead?

No comments:

Post a Comment