Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Congrats to the Twins, AL Central champions!

The Twins just beat the Tigers in a nailbiter of a nearly 5 hour game, 6-5 in the 12th inning. No doubt that both of these teams wanted it bad. One team has to lose, but when both teams put all their heart and soul into playing the game and in trying to come out on top, that's the kind of game you wanna watch. I can't remember the last time I watched an entire baseball game without the distraction of a book or computer, much less a game that went into extra innings, much less a game that featured neither the Mets nor the Yankees...

I'd like to give a special shout-out to Rick Porcello, the Tigers' starting pitcher, who left the game in the sixth inning with a 3-2 lead, who pitched a gem of a game, this 20 year old rookie who looked like a veteran on the mound, and even though it was a game his team ultimately lost, I'm looking forward to watching him pitch against the Yankees next season.

Speaking of the Yankees...the Twins have a date with them in New York at 6 pm tomorrow. Their players are going to be beat. Their bullpen is going to be in tatters. I don't know how they're even going to show up on the field. But as of this moment, after cheering out loud, embarrassingly loud, in my living room, when the Twins won, my allegiance switches firmly back to my Yanks. I am going to enjoy watching at least three games with my Joe Mauer on the field - the Yanks don't play the Twins an awful lot, so at least three games against them and him in a row will be a treat, but when it comes down to it, I'm cheering "Let's go, Yankees!"

But for tonight, anyway, I cheer for the Twins... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment