Monday, February 27, 2012

As the MLB season quickly approaches, what's the most pressing question facing the New York Yankees?

Well, according to CBS radio this morning, the most important thing the Yanks must deal with is, now that A.J. Burnett has been traded, who will take over doling out the all important walk-off win whipped cream pie-in-the-face?

I kid you not.

Now, to be fair, I loved that about A.J. Burnett. I thought it brought a levity and lightheartedness to a clubhouse that can often come across as all-business and no-nonsense. Whenever a Yankee was responsible for a walk-off win, A.J. would smash him in the face with a pie - originally shaving cream, I believe, but eventually whipped cream. Didn't matter if he was in the dugout or giving a live television interview, A.J. would find him. I always enjoyed watching for it.

Unfortunately, A.J.'s pie antics did not translate to doing well on the mound and seeing as I had started to dread the games that he started, I'm not sorry to see him go. But the newscasters today on the radio were all a-twitter, not about who would replace him in the starting rotation, but who would replace him with the pie plate?

I mean, ladies and gentleman, this is what baseball is all about.

Their unanimous choice, not surprisingly, at least not to me, was rightfielder Nick Swisher. Why? "Because he always looks like he's having fun anyway." That's what I'm talking about. That's what I liked about the pie antics, that for at least a few seconds after the game, it didn't look like it was all about winning - it kinda looked like playing baseball was sort of about having fun. And that's one of the main reasons - and those of you who read this blog regularly know this - that I love Nick Swisher. He just always looks like he's having fun. He just always looks like he loves everything about the game, including probably most importantly in my humble opinion, the fans.

So while the rest of the next couple of months will be spent debating starting lineups, trades, new players, health and fitness reports, stats, predictions, etc. etc., I think we're all relieved to know that at least the most important question, the pie question, has been settled.

No comments:

Post a Comment