Monday, September 26, 2011

Blast from the past - The road to victory, World Series 1998

As this 2011 regular season winds down and the Yankees are once again in the playoffs, I decided to go through some of the old newspaper articles I'd saved from Yankee postseason victories past. When I went away to college in 1997, I was excited about being away from home but I guess I was a little homesick, too, but it was around that time that the Yankees began making it to the postseason every year, which meant that even in Washington, DC, if it was October, I got to watch a team from home. That was when the love affair began, and 14 years later, it is my longest relationship to date. Here is a look back at some of the coverage from the 1998 World Series against the San Diego Padres:

From the Sept. 7, 1998 issue of Newsday - I had this hanging on my dorm room wall at college :)

From the Oct. 18, 1998 issue of Newsday

From the Oct. 22, 1998 issue of Newsday

I should mention here that winning 125 games in an MLB season is pretty much unheard of. Very few teams will hit 100 wins in a season. At this moment, with only about 2-3 games to go in this season, the Yankees are only at 97 wins - the Philadelphia Phillies have the most, with 99. So that 1998 season was pretty amazing. (And for the record, that 125 game record includes the postseason - the team won 114 games during the regular season that year - still, nothing to turn your nose up at. The record for most wins during the regular season is held by both the 1906 Chicago Cubs and the 2001 Seattle Mariners at 116 apiece, but neither team went on to win the World Series in their respective years...


No comments:

Post a Comment