Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Fighting for their lives...AL wild card race continues

I'm not watching either game, but I have MLB.com up on my computer so I can keep checking the scores, and both the Tampa Bay Rays and the Boston Red Sox are really fighting for their lives. Boston is in the third inning against the Baltimore Orioles, up 2-1. The Rays are also in the third inning against my New York Yankees, also up 2-1. This has got to be hell on the players and definitely on their fans, but as a sports aficionado, it's awesome to see two teams who really want that spot that badly. Nothing is more irritating than when the fans want the win more than the team does.

Speaking of giving it your all, I read a headline on, I think CNN.com, today and the author posited that maybe the Yankees wouldn't try in order to allow the Rays to win and to stick it to the Sox. To be honest, I don't see them doing it. I see them maybe not doing as well because they're giving the guys who have just been called up from the minors a chance to show their stuff, but competitors are by nature competitive. And it really doesn't matter who ends up making it to the postseason with the Yankees - whoever it is is still one more team in the way to winning the World Series (see how positive I can be? I just hope I didn't just jinx it...oy!)

Anyway, to all you Boston and Tampa Bay fans out there...I know this is a real nailbiter but if your team fights hard, even if they lose, you can be proud. Good luck to you both! (Yes, even Boston fans...I'm feeling magnanimous tonight!) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment