Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Yankees want to keep Brian Cashman as GM

A fan of the New York Yankees since 1998, players I have grown up with since those days, such as Jorge Posada and Derek Jeter and Mariano Rivera ARE the Yankees to me...but I also lump Brian Cashman, general manager of the Yanks since that very same year, into that group, just the behind-the-scenes version of that iconic group. Have I always agreed with his player trades and decisions? Heck no. Sometimes I wanted to throttle him. But I always got the impression that he wasn't afraid to stand up to George Steinbrenner, which I totally respect, and you have to give him some credit for continuing to put together the pieces of a team that made it to the post season 12 of the 13 years he's been here. Anyway, his contract expires this year, and according to an article in Newsday here, the Yankees want him back. Sounds good to me. And as a behind-the-scenes player, his baseball career has the potential to be much longer than Posada's or Jeter's or even Rivera's...

On a side note, I'm glad for Cashman's success with the Yankees as he is a fellow alum of my college, The Catholic University of America in Washington, D.C. ... although he graduated 12 years before I did. But I was going to school at CUA when I fell in love with the Yankees...the same year Cashman became their GM! Coincidence? Probably. But I used to look up famous Catholic alum yearbook photos when I was working on the school newspaper, and Cashman was one of them. Now I'm getting ready to attend my 10-year college reunion in a few weeks, and Cashman is still there. I'm a fan of continuity. I might not always agree with his moves, but I hope he sticks around.

No comments:

Post a Comment